Wednesday, March 18, 2009

P90X Challenge Day 3

To put it mildly - I am sore. Like, OMG am I sore!

So yesterday I did the Plyometrics video, and the Plyometrics video did me! I can see how it will be fun in the end, but it's tough - lots of jumping, leaping, hopping and lunging. And it completely destroyed any ego that I might have around the ability of Bikram yoga to get someone into peak fitness. Forget about it. Bikram yoga is an excellent therapeutic and healing yoga, and if someone is far away from baseline fit, it will do wonders for them. If someone is dealing with injury, it's amazing stuff. But I cannot pretend anymore that it will do for anybody the same thing that this P90X stuff has the ability to do. I'm thankful I've been doing yoga for years - I have good flexibility, good range of motion, good cardio endurance - but ZERO upper body strength, and almost no ability to actually move my legs. I can hold my legs still, but I cannot move them.

So - today I am going to yoga - checking out Sunstone Yoga. I'm not crazy about the idea - their website is very slick and shiny, and franchise yoga is uninteresting to me. And to an outsider, it's confusing. Which is fine, outsiders don't need to be able to "get it." But it's a turn-off. I'm glad they are doing well! I'm just not convinced that this will be the yoga for me.

811 - I love it. Yesterday was such a good day. And I am HUNGRY. It's amazing. Yesterday I ate:

Green smoothie with 3 bananas and spinach (about 4 cups)
3 large mangoes
an entire large personal sized watermelon
a huge salad made with an entire head of romaine, a cucumber, 1/4 bell pepper, and a mountain of sunflower sprouts.

That might not read like much, but the watermelon blended up to just over a half-gallon of watermelon juithie. And that's a LOT. A lot of liquid. And I drank the whole thing. Waking up this morning, I'm about to go do yoga, so no food yet, but I'm hungry waking up and that's unusual for me. I normally don't want anything until 11-ish.

Today I'm going to do some research on Doug Graham's site about recovery, because I've heard claims from him that proper diet can reduce muscle recovery time down to 22 hours. I'd like to know more about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment