Sunday, August 24, 2008

august 24: i'm back!

i lost battery power on the computer while at the beach, and i have a very finicky plug, which only likes to work at home, when the stereo cord is lovingly holding it in place. my laptop is getting old, and planned obsolescence is calling for its imminent demise. so i spent a whole lotta time vlogging. it was lots of fun. i don't have the embed code to post the vids here, and i've given the camera back to Wayne. until i have a new computer with a webcam, i think videos may be few and far between, since i'm relying on Wayne to upload them for me! he's patient and loving, AND, that may be asking too much.

and my internet at home was being infuriatingly slow last night, so i gave up. and tonight, i came to the coffee house. it's gloriously perfect weather right now - breezy, cool enough for jeans, warm enough for sleeveless, so i'm thankful to not be stuck inside my house. i may do this more often.

tonight i had a little brush with The Real World. i have a friend and client who i am now working with on some nutritional coaching. i'm so used to being in my raw fu bubble, and my yoga bubble, and my own self-bubble bubble, i forget how most of the real world lives and eats and functions. my friend, i must say, is doing really, really well for doing a SAD lifestyle, and i commend her for her efforts. but it baffles and staggers me how different my lifestyle is now, and how easy it is for me, and how impossibly hard and disciplined it must seem to her! i'm not trying to convert her to 811rv, trust me. i want to help her reach her goals, not mine. the only thing i'm doing to approximate that is i'm asking her, as i'm going to ask all of my clients, to simply do as much fruit as they want, and only fruit, before noon. after that, then we can start to talk about other things. what struck me is how health conscious my friend is. she is eating cereal, fruit and yogurt for breakfast, and is very concerned with calcium, electrolytes, iron, and is convinced that she needs grains. when i asked her to give up her cereal and yogurt, her first concern was "where will i get my grains?" so i suggested brown rice for dinner. too much work. you know what that says to me? she doesn't feel a physical need for grains. if she did, she would have said, "oh, absolutely!" convenience is a major issue for her. i wish she could see how simple my life is. how totally convenient.

and it makes me really sad, SAD does. it's not working for her. she's got osteopenea, acid reflux, and a huge lower pot belly. she's smart, savvy, and relatively open minded, but also been fed a huge amount of rhetoric. when she was worried about her grains, i said, "if there was such a thing as a grain deficiency, i'd be incredibly sick right now!"

getting beyond the convenience is going to be the trick. her husband works for burger king corporate. and he doesn't dance. i could never marry such a man.

my nice new friend has been calling, though he hasn't been PURSUING. damn. i want to be pursued. like crazy. but we've had some nice long conversations, and he's just my type. only nicer, i think. am i his type? or am i too weird, too boring? i'll go ahead and say it - i hope i'm his type. i hope he likes me.

other than that, life continues to be great. i'm so happy. i don't need him to like me, that would just be a nice perk.

No comments:

Post a Comment