Friday, July 25, 2008

july 25: the times they are a changin'

i had lunch today with my awesome friend elizabeth at mother's, my favorite restaurant in austin. sigh. i've already extolled the deliciousness of their cashew tamari dressing, so i won't go into that now. what i will say!

i had a banana smoothie!!! yessirreebob! i ordered a banana smoothie, which was already on the menu! i ordered it with water, instead of the pasteurized apple juice they make it with, and the waitress looked at me like i had sprouted 10 extra heads at that moment. but i had, and enjoyed, my lovely little banana smoothie while my friend had her salad, and then i had a big ol' huge ol' garden patch salad with a lovely little squirt of lime. it was delicious, actually.

elizabeth is a semi-low-carb omnivore, and she did caution me against going so low on protein and fat, saying, "protein and fat are the 2 most important macro-nutrients." i disagree completely, of course. i know where she's coming from - carbohydrate can be made out of protein and fat, but not vice versa, so in a way it makes sense. but to me, that's like... you need bricks to build houses, so it's more important to have other houses to tear apart to get bricks from than it is to have plenty of bricks ready and waiting for you.

or something. how i love a good mixed-up metaphor!

but i am still ravenous today. i just made a green smoothie, bringing my nana total for the day up to like 8. crazy. i feel like the narrator character in "hotel new hampshire," when the grandpa is training him to be a wrestler and making him eat bananas all the time, promising that if he eats enough and trains hard enough, all that baby fat will drop off and he'll be "hard all over!" my brain. i can't keep up. so i'm eating bananas and loving them, and maybe my non-baby fat will fall off and i'll be sorta-firm all over.

so here's another big thing that has happened, and i can thank the raw fu community and the support i've gotten there, as well as doing this blog and challenge - i've decided to get back into nutritional coaching. i've already got 2, maybe 3 clients, and we want to make it part of our business expansion, so i'm going to do it. elizabeth told me that in texas, anybody can call themselves a "nutritionist," but i feel that would be dishonest, so i'm going to call myself a "nutritional coach." i'm excited. i've done this before, but i think i've got better credentials and a better perspective now. i've got a LOT of work to do!!!

2 comments:

  1. haha I love the title. I am the fall back health and food expert for my work and friends... maybe someday I will warrent "nutritional coach" and I can make living being a know-it-all... the perfect job for me!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca :) I think it's fabulous you chose a banana smoothie today! WTG!!! And congratulations on deciding to pursue nutritional coaching. People out there need an alternative, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete